I have this wish list of hand-lettering books that I’ve been meaning to share for some time now. I have quite a number of books on modern and copperplate calligraphy, but have not invested on as much lettering books as I can.
The good thing about books compared to seeking inspiration online, is that the motivation it gives is nothing fleeting. With numerous posts on lettering and art all over the internet, we tend to get lost in all this information overload that each ‘inspiration’ is trying to compete with another. Having a few select books on the shelf means you pick it up from time to time, read or browse, and get that feeling of enthusiasm every single time.
I already have a few of these by my tiny white desk, but I would like to tick every single book on my list. Hope these books inspire you to learn the art of hand-lettering!
1. Sharpie Art Workshop: Techniques and Ideas for Transforming Your World | Timothy Goodman
2. Little Book of Lettering | Emily Gregory
3. Sign Painters | Faythe Levine & Sam Macon
4. The ABCs of Hand Lettering | Abbey Sy
5. In Progress: See Inside a Lettering Artist’s Sketchbook and Process, from Pencil to Vector | Jessica Hische
6. Drawing Type: An Introduction to Illustrating Letterforms | Alex Fowkes
7. Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design’s Golden Age | Steven Heller & Louise Fili
There you have it! Wish I have the financial capacity to purchase this lot in one go, but looks like I need to set priorities for now. Happy book shopping! Are there any awesome lettering books that I missed? Let me know in the comments below, and this hungry artist will appreciate it heaps.